Colour Responsible Policy
Darren Michael Hairdressing follow a Colour Responsible Policy for the safety and peace of mind of our clients.
SKIN TESTING AND SCREENING FOR SENSITIVITY AND REACTIONS
We use testing and screening to check suitability for the colouring products we provide. You may choose either;
OUR PREFERRED METHOD
A) Colourstart Passport (MHRA APPROVED METHOD)
1. Please register on the Colourstart website by clicking here and create your passport. Answer the screening questions. Or the EASIEST way is to fill this form in and we will send you an invite link to your inbox -
2. Buy and apply your Colourstart Patch following instructions in the video below. You can buy Colourstart Passport Patch from our salon Darren Michael Hairdressing or from us online with FREE delivery from #salonlove by clicking on the link here. Buy Online from Darren Michael Hairdressing to collect from salon or delivered to your door by clicking here too
3. Once you receive your patch follow the instructions on your Passport Portal which will be these:
1) FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY YOUR PATCH
2) TAKE A PHOTO OF THE PATCH ON YOUR ARM
3) UPLOAD THE PHOTO ONTO YOUR COLOURSTART PASSPORT
4) COLOURSTART WILL START A COUNTDOWN OF 48 HOURS
5) COLOURSTART WILL INFORM YOU TO TAKE THE PATCH OFF YOUR ARM
6) COLOURSTART WILL CONTINUE THE COUNTDOWN FOR A FURTHER 3 DAYS
7) COLOURSTART WILL ASK YOU TO TAKE ANOTHER PHOTO OF YOUR ARM AFTER THE 3 DAYS
8 ) UPLOAD YOUR PHOTO ONTO YOUR COLOURSTART PASSPORT
9) COLOURSTART WILL GIVE YOU YOUR RESULT
10) SHARE WITH DARREN MICHAEL HAIRDRESSING
4.Upload your results to your online passport. Share your results with Darren Michael Hairdressing – (we are registered with Colourstart).
5. Once you have created your passport and completed your first test, subsequent colour treatments require you to answer the screening questions – testing with a Colourstart test may not be necessary unless something changes. Your Colourstart Passport will confidentially store your records.
B) AAT (Allergy Alert Test)
For your first AAT with Darren Michael Hairdressing or if it is 6 months since your last AAT; Make an appointment to attend the salon at least 48 hours before your appointment. We will apply a small amount of colour formula to the inside of your elbow. Leave for 48 hours, should you experience any signs of irritation, reddening, swelling, inflammation or itching please contact us. If you develop symptoms that make you unwell please contact a medical professional. When you attend the salon we will observe the test site and ask you to complete a questionnaire. Subsequent colour services may not require an AAT test subject to screening questions. We advise you to speak to your stylist about what is best for you. All our stylists have been trained to test and screen for suitability for colour services. We have vast experience in safe colouring – you can be sure we only use the best products and invest in the most up to date practices. We take your safety and our work seriously. When you visit Darren Michael Hairdressing you can have peace of mind that we are taking the best care of you and your hair. We thank you for your co-operation in our preliminary procedures before your service with us.
How much is Colourstart and where do I buy it?
Signing up and ongoing screening on the passport is free. The Colourstart test is £15. You can buy it from Darren Michael Hairdressing or online with FREE delivery from #salonlove by clicking on the link here.
Buy Online from Darren Michael Hairdressing to collect from salon or delivered to your door by clicking here
You used to give me a Colourstart transfer for my colour service – what has changed?
Colourstart has been registered and approved by the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) – subsequently we have to follow the guidelines as set out by the regulations. The test is different from the transfer test. It is supported by the Colourstart Passport. Your details are securely and confidentially held on your passport. Once you have tested with new Colourstart, subsequent colour services only require screening on your passport which could be just a couple of minutes. Potentially you could make an appointment and get your hair coloured on the same day.
Why is it Darren Michael Hairdressing preferred method for screening for colour allergies?
You are in control of your passport and therefore your testing and screening. It is confidential, we only get to see your result if you choose to share it with us. You can use your Colourstart passport for screening for any colour services in any salon. Example, if you have brow colouring service you can use the same test. If you are travelling and you need to use a different salon, you can share your passport result with any salon. You can get your service done with little notice, you do not have to wait 48 hours for a skin test.
My stylist said Colourstart is not suitable for me – why is that?
If you are pregnant or have active dermatitis you cannot test with Colourstart. You should speak to your stylist about an AAT (Allergy Alert Test) in the salon.
How long does an AAT take and how much does it cost?
You will need an AAT appointment at least 48 hours before your colour appointment. It only takes 10 minutes in the salon and is a free test.
Why do I need a skintest?
Reactions to hair colour can be serious and even life threatening. There are strict guidelines from manufacturers, insurers, industry bodies and the MHRA around using hair colour. We endeavour to give you peace of mind so that you can safely enjoy your visits to the salon.
Why don't you test me every time?
We use screening to monitor the need for testing you before your service. If nothing has changed since your last test and we have a valid record (typically within the last 6 months) it will be OK to proceed with your service.
I have been colouring my hair for years, why do I need a test?
One of the triggers for sensitivity and reactions to hair colour is exposure over time, therefore it is important we keep monitoring for your safety. Darren Michael Hairdressing are committed to your safety and use only the best products and methods for hair colouring.